Carbon dating on the shroud of turin
The front and back views of the head nearly meet at the middle of the cloth.The image of the "Man of the Shroud" has a beard, moustache, and shoulder-length hair parted in the middle.
The historical records for the shroud can be separated into two time periods: before 1390 and from 1390 to the present.
Critics point out that it may not be a shroud at all, but rather a rectangular tombstone, as seen on other sacred images.
However the presence of the Turin Shroud in Lirey, France, is only undoubtedly attested in 1390 when Bishop Pierre d'Arcis wrote a memorandum to Antipope Clement VII, stating that the shroud was a forgery and that the artist had confessed.
The history of the shroud from the 15th century is well recorded.
In 1453 Margaret de Charny deeded the Shroud to the House of Savoy. Since the 17th century the shroud has been displayed (e.g.